The umbrella term “Autism Spectrum Disorders” covers Infantile/childhood Autism; Atypical Autism and Aspergers Autism. Of the neuro-developmental disorders that inhibit normal brain development ASD is one of the most common. It afflicts all nations and social structures.
- The affliction only becomes apparent in subtle ways from the ages of 2 to 3 years onwards.
- Aspergers Syndrome becomes evident at around 5 to 6 years.
- The personal suffering, and both parental and community burden can be considerable.
- Although children within the spectrum can vary in the intensity of affliction, all are affected in the struggle to communicate, form relationships and how they interact with the world they perceive.
- Importantly, each ASD child will exhibit different intensities with varying combinations.
Children with ASD can be classed within three core sectors known as the Triad of Impairment.