Things to consider if you like to get help to train your own service dog
- We can help you to train your own dog (check our certified service dog criteria first) OR
- We can assist you when you select a puppy from a breeder or Animal Rescue Organizations
Who can apply?
- People with Aspergers Syndrome/ASD or Autism who love dogs.
- Parents of a child over 4 years with Aspergers Syndrome/ASD or Autism – The child needs to like dogs.
What are the other requirements?
You need to:
- be a responsible dog owner!
- be able to control your dog in all kind of situations!
- be able to work in team work with your dog and your trainer!
- see the trainer once a week!
- let the dog participate in your live all day long!
- have a dog proof house!
- have the commitment to do continuing training with your dog!
When does the training start?
- When we have your dog assessed if he would be suitable for service dog training OR
- When we/you found a suitable puppy for the service training
How does it work?
- We visit you and your dog.
- You need to discuss with our trainer all your needs.
- Your trainer can tell you what is possible and what not.
- You and the trainer develop a weekly training plan.
- The trainer shows you all the weekly tasks.
- You need to follow the guidelines and tick off your task boxes if you dog has achieved the skills.
- If you have any difficulties you need to contact your trainer to get more assistance.
You meet your trainer once a week
- Your trainer will test your skills and check if you have done your homework.
- Your trainer will give you some new tasks to practise.
- You take your weekly training plan at home and start practising.